The LulzBot Mini made a beautiful print, and the build volume was “just right” for a plastic ant. A good rule of thumb- If you need a LulzBot TAZ‘s build volume, your ant is going to be too heavy (ask me how I know..).
I created the model in Autodesk Fusion 360 (free for maker / student / non-commercial use!!) which has been an easy to use yet staggeringly powerful 3D modeling tool for quickly iterating through designs. The cloud sync makes it a snap to move between computers!
The key to is the infill pattern. I was experimenting with different infill patterns in the new CURA 2 LulzBot Edition Alpha and chose cubic for it’s strength. By happy accident, the combination of the translucent green INOVA-1800 and cubic infill yielded this cool pattern! Pictured don’t really do it justice as the surface is shiny, and the pattern shifts as it catches the light.
Our kitchen chairs were what my Granny would have called, catywompus! The plastic feet inserts broke over the years , but when we thought we would just add new ones, we discovered they were custom to the chair. After much searching online, I found a whole lot of nothing. I decided to save myself the hassle and hand Jamie a chair foot so that he could draw up a design in Tinkercad! A couple of days later he handed me back a 3D printed chair foot, very similar to the one I originally gave him!
It snapped in easy peasy! Jamie printed off enough for the rest of the chairs and ten minutes of install later our chairs were no longer ‘catywompus’. Easiest home improvement/fix up ever!! I am slowly discovering that having a 3D printer comes in quite handy for around the house stuff and making parts that you may otherwise have to have custom-made. That, and it’s just a lot of fun!!
How To: For this project Jamie used a Lulzbot Mini 3D Printer and black ABS filament. At first we considered using a flexible filament called Ninja Flex, but decided against it. I was concerned that with it being flexible and sort of ‘grabby’ for lack of a better description, that it would be difficult to move across the hardwood floors. The ABS is a tough and smoother filament and moved easily on the floor, although in the end I’m not sure if that mattered because I put furniture sliders on top of the chair feet.
If you have broken things around your house or little broken parts that are difficult to come by, you may be able to design a replacement yourself and 3D print it, just as we did these chair feet.
Fun with 3D printing, because who doesn’t need a laser cat?! This file can be found at Thingiverse The original laser cat looks much like the one below, but as 3D Printing goes there is always a lot of fun to be had with tinkering around with designs! Someone added lasers to the poor laser’less cat here
Work continues on the build of a pink Lulzbot Mini 3D printer. Nearly all the parts are printed, and the chassis has been refinished. Because of Lulzbot’s open source approach, you own your printer, and you can build modify, experiment and repair it yourself! If you’d like to DIY, ItWorks 3D Print can help you with the Lulzbot Mini Parts you need.
Jodi here! I know it seems like an absurd amount of pink and you are correct! It really is a little overboard, but I love it! I have four boys, five if you include Jamie, so a girls gotta mix in a little bit of pink here and there! It is however doubtful that the pink will deter any of them from using my printer. 😉
Printing the last of the parts. The filament arm was printed on the TAZ 5 as it’s too big for the Mini to print. The rest of the parts can be printed on the Mini.
Cerakote looks like it will work as a durable over-finish on the chassis. We’re using “prison pink” Thanks to Dustin of the hot new local filament manufacturerChroma Strand Labs for this finish. Look for Chroma Strand’s new Inova filament on our site ItWorks3D
Even the bed plate is getting refinished. Now for much re-tapping and uncoating the areas that need to make electrical contact for the Mini’s auto-leveling system. The Ninjaflex bed corners will probably be done in white with the new Mini Flexistruder V2